Plaque number 98 can be found at this location.
This plaque can be found on the right hand boundary pillar at the front of Arundells, a house in the Cathedral Close.
The O/S grid position is SU nnnnn East nnnnn North
SALISBURY CIVIC SOCIETY
The Rt Hon
Sir Edward Heath
1916 - 2005
Prime Minister 1970 - 1974
Musician and Sailor
On Friday 17th February 2012 Dame Rosemary Spencer unveiled the above Blue Plaque at Arundells in the Cathedral Close in honour of Edward Heath. There was a small reception in Arundells where the guests heard reminiscences about Sir Edward from Lord Armstrong, the Dean, the Mayor of Salisbury and Robert Key.
The unveiling photograph here shows from left to right:
the Member of Parliament for Salisbury, Mr John Glen;
the Bishop of Salisbury, the Right Reverend Nicolas Holtam;
the Leader of Wiltshire Council, Councillor Jane Scott OBE;
the Dean of Salisbury, the Very Reverend June Osborne;
the Salisbury Civic Society President, Dame Rosemary Spencer DCMG;
the Right Honourable the Lord Armstrong of Ilminster, GCB, CVO;
the former Member of Parliament for Salisbury, Mr Robert Key;
the Right Worshipful the Mayor of the City of Salisbury, John Abbott;
the Right Honorable the Lord Congleton;
the Salisbury Civic Society chairman, Alastair Clark.
Sir Edward Heath was born in 1916 at Broadstairs, Kent, and educated at Chatham House Grammar School in Ramsgate and Balliol College, Oxford, before serving in the Royal Artillery at home and in Europe during World War 2, and later in the Honourable Artillery Company.
He entered Parliament in 1950 as MP for Bexley, serving in the Conservative Governments from 1951 to 1964 as (successively) a Whip, Chief Whip, Minister of Labour, Lord Privy Seal at the Foreign Office, and Secretary of State for Industry, Trade and Regional Development.
Sir Edward Heath served under Sir Winston Churchill, Sir Anthony Eden, Mr Harold Macmillan and Sir Alec Douglas-Home, and was Leader of the Conservative Party for 10 years between 1965 and 1975, and serving as Prime Minister from 1970 to 1974, during which he signed the Treaty of Accession in Brussels. He continued to sit in the House of Commons for his constituency, Old Bexley and Sidcup, up to his retirement in 2001, becoming Father of the House from 1992 to 2001.
HM The Queen appointed him a Knight of the Garter in 1992.
Sir Edward Heath's many active interests included a deep involvement in and love of music, collecting pictures and other objets d'art, and sailing, especially ocean racing.
Sir Edward Heath died in 2005, and his ashes are interred under his commemorative stone on the south side of the Crossing in Salisbury Cathedral.
Arundells was a Medieval Canonry in the thirteenth century and probably first used by Henry of Blunston, Archdeacon of Dorset, who died in 1316. From the mid-1550s the house was leased by the Dean and Chapter to lay tenants. Much of the current house's appearance is due to John Wyndham who lived there between 1718 and 1750. After a period of decay and neglect when demolition was considered, Arundells was renovated in the 1960s, and refurbished by Sir Edward Heath when he came to live here in 1985. Over many years and six distinct periods of architecture, Arundells has developed into one of the finest houses inside the Cathedral Close.
The name derives from James Everard Arundel, son of the 6th Lord Arundel of Wardour who married Wyndham's daughter, and was given Arundells as a wedding present. It briefly housed the Godolphin School and also a boys' boarding school up to 1844.
The house is surrounded by a beautiful two-acre walled garden stretching down to the River Avon.
Click here to go back to Salisbury Plaques Home Page
Click here to go to the Salisbury Civic Society's Home Page.
Click here to check validation.